The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. For more than 100 years, we have led the fight for healthy lungs and healthy air, whether it’s searching for cures to lung diseases, keeping kids off tobacco, or fighting for laws that protect the air we all breathe.
Our Mission: To save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease.
Below are a few of the accomplishments reached by our Upstate South Carolina office throughout the past year:
- In partnership with the Junior League of Greenville, 2,700 children participated in Homerun for Healthy Kids and learned about clean air and breathing exercises.
- 46 people received support from 4 Better Breathers Clubs. Better Breathers Clubs offer the opportunity to learn ways to better cope with COPD and other lung diseases, while receiving the support of others who share in participants’ struggles.
- 730 TB patients were assisted with incentives and enablers.
- Worked with local coalitions on lung health, air quality, and tobacco policy.
- 5 Freedom From Smoking clinics offered support on the journey to quit smoking.
- Supported outdoor & indoor air quality initiatives.
- More than 2,000 South Carolinians received answers about lung health and lung disease through ALA’s Lung HelpLine.
- Thousands of dollars were raised for lung disease research.